In early FY 2014, the citizens of Miami-Dade County passed a referendum to support a public bond issuance called the “Jackson Miracle-Building Bond Program” to raise capital for JHS to reinvest in its infrastructure and other targeted strategic needs. The miracle bond program was a large part of a total fundraising goal of $1.4B. Among the key projects listed as part of the Bond was the intent to make an investment to enhance access to patients in need in the Western part of Miami-Dade County since there was limited healthcare access in this growing market. The Jackson leadership team engaged the partners at Whitecap to complete a comprehensive feasibility study to determine what type of investment could be supported in that market.
Whitecap led a five-month process with JHS administration and UM clinical leadership to create a network strategy, clinical prioritization, facility projection, and detailed financial model with capital estimates and phasing. The analysis included a detailed physician recruitment and alignment plan with both faculty and community providers. Ultimately the study ended up with the following recommendations:
1. Market demographic and market share analysis confirmed a need for a capital investment in the West Miami Dade Community near Doral
2. A service prioritization analysis suggested that Primary Care, Pediatrics, Orthopedics, GI, General Surgery, and Women’s Health would anchor an initial build out of a comprehensive ambulatory facility along with a 24-bay Free Standing Emergency Department
3. In conjunction with the ambulatory access, 100-bed inpatient facility would be built adjacent to meet the needs of the community and patients coming through the ED
4. The entity would begin to produce positive Cash Flows in year 5 assuming several operating metrics were achieved
5. Strategic success will be highly dependent on Jackson Health and the University of Miami’s ability to recruit and ramp up physicians
“The Whitecap team proved themselves to be experts in understanding the intricacies and challenges posed to our system as we looked to expand into a market of need. Their team was highly responsive, knowledgeable, and utilized data to support all recommendations as appropriate. We’ve since hired them for several follow-on engagements and they’ll continue to be a trusted advisor!”
– Laura Hunter
SVP Strategy and Business Development
Jackson Health System
your privacy is important. all submitted information is confidential and transmitted securely.